top of page

Visas for studying in the UK at Notting Hill College

If you wish to study with Notting Hill College in the UK but live in a different country, you might have to get a visa. Notting Hill College can help students obtain a short-term study visa (6 months).

Applying for a visa

The requirements and application process for your short-term study visa application may differ depending on your country. We can help you through the process if you require it. 


To apply, you will need to prove your English language ability. We can provide you with an online English language test to determine your ability level.


If you achieve the required English language ability score for your chosen Notting Hill College programme, you can enrol and pay for the course. We recommend a programme of more than 15 hours per week (20 or more lessons per week). If you do not have accommodation in the UK, we highly recommend that you pay for your home stay as well.


Once your enrolment documents are received and you are found to be eligible for your course, we will send you your Payment Confirmation Slip and Acceptance Letter along with other relevant documents.


Apply for a UK visa online under the visa type ‘short-term study visa’ and book an appointment to submit your documents.

Apply for a UK visa online under the visa type ‘short-term study visa’ and book an appointment to submit your documents.


The government visa body looks for four main factors before accepting a visa application. They will seek evidence that:

  • you have the finances to pay for your accommodation, transportation, living expenses and any other fees you will encounter.

  • you plan to return to your home country at the end of your course (for example, you have a job, house or university place back home that you need to return to).

  • you have a good reason to be completing your course (for example, it will help you get a better job in your home country).

  • you have enrolled on your course and you have paid. 


If your UK visa application is rejected, you should attempt to reapply or request a refund from Notting Hill College.


Throughout your studies, you must have at least an 80% attendance rate or Notting Hill College is required to report your absenteeism to the government. 

Do I need a student-term study visa?

If you are an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen, you will not need a short-term study visa to come to the UK.


If you are not an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen, then you will need a short-term study visa to come to the UK.

Check if you need a visa here.

Terms and Conditions for visa students



Anyone wishing to study at Notting Hill College who is not a UK, EU, EEA or Swiss citizen must have a visa to remain in the UK to study on a full-time basis. Notting Hill College can assist with applications for short-term study visa and extended student visitor visa.


For more information regarding short-term study visas, visit the UK government website here.


It is not possible to study on a normal tourist visitor visa or a business visa. It is the responsibility of the student to ensure that they have the correct visa and any appropriate leave to remain in the UK. If Notting Hill College discovers a student does not have the correct visa, their enrolment will be terminated with no refund.


Booking a course


When a student wants to enrol in a programme, they will need to complete an application form and provide their passport details. Notting Hill College will send an Acceptance Letter in order to support the student’s visa application. Students must have paid for their programme before the letter is issued.


If a student is being sponsored by their embassy, then a provisional letter of sponsorship is required before an Acceptance Letter can be issued. Sponsored students will not be permitted to start their course until a stamped, full letter of financial guarantee has been received by Notting Hill College. Full payment must be received within 14 days of the student’s course commencing. 




If a student is required to postpone their course start date, the following rules apply:

  • A postponement request must be made in writing (by post or email) more than 14 days before the course is due to start. Any postponement after this will be treated as a cancellation.

  • The course may be postponed twice free of charge. Any further postponements will be treated as a cancellation.

  • Any postponed courses are subject to availability. Any new course start date will depend on if the programme is fully booked. If this is the case, alternative start dates will be provided.

  • If any new Acceptance Letters are required, Notting Hill College must be paid £250.


Postponement due to visa delays


If a student is required to postpone their enrolment due to their visa being delayed or refused, they must contact Notting Hill College immediately in order to avoid incurring any cancellation charges. A copy of the refusal letter must be sent to in support of the postponement. In this case, no fees will be issued. However, if further Acceptance Letters are required, Notting Hill College must be paid £10 per letter. This will be payable prior to the letter being sent.


Cancellation due to visa refusals


If a student is required to cancel their enrolment due to their visa being refused, they must contact Notting Hill College by emailing explaining that the visa has been refused.


Notting Hill College will not refund any course fees in situations where the visa application has been refused due to an error or information being missed on the application. It is the responsibility of each student to ensure that all information is correct on their visa application form. The Home Office’s decision is final and Notting Hill College will use all information provided in the refusal letter.


If a visa is refused after providing all of the correct information, the student must forward a copy of the visa refusal document and a completed refund application form. All monies will be refunded, minus a £450 administration fee, £50 registration fees, courier fees if applicable and any bank charges.



Students must notify Notting Hill College in writing of any holidays at least two weeks in advance. Notifying a member of staff verbally does not constitute sufficient notification.


The maximum authorised holiday permitted for students is 1 week for every 12 weeks of study. The permitted holiday time will be added to the end of the course. There may be the possibility of additional classes. This will be decided by Notting Hill College. Refunds will not be issued by Notting Hill College for any holidays taken.


Notting Hill College will be closed on public holidays and over the Christmas period. Students will not be charged for these days.

bottom of page